BTS offers an education program that can be used to educate citizens on the importance of the spay and neuter surgery and the over population problem in our area. The education course is kid friendly and the content can be adjusted to suit all ages. During the course the following topics are discussed:
- The pet over population problem in our area.
- The facts about the number of animals entering the shelter, finding homes and euthanized in the past year.
- Math to show how quickly dogs and cats can multiply.
- How they can help by spreading the spay and neuter message or raise funds to fix animals in our area.
- BTS and how we work to fix the problem from the start by educating people about the importance and benefits of spay and neuter surgery and our voucher program.
At the end of the presentation, goody bags are handed out that include a BTS brochure to share with friends and family or someone in need of a voucher, glow in the dark spay/neuter wristbands, and candy. Our students really seem to understand our important message in the end. We hope our students continue to spread this message, so we can all work together to end the pet overpopulation problem.
If you would like for us to come to your camp or school to present our program, please contact us at (850) 545-2043 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pet overpopulation is a PROBLEM in our area! In fact, over 50% of the intakes to the Tallahassee-Leon County Animal Service Center have to be euthanized each year.
How can you help?
- Make sure your pet is spayed or neutered!
- In the U.S., millions of cats and dogs of all ages and breeds are euthanized annually or suffer as strays. These high numbers are the result of unwanted, unplanned litters and could have been prevented by spaying or neutering.
Why should you spay or neuter your pet?
- Your female pet won’t go into heat, which means less mess for you to clean!
- Your male pet is less likely to roam, run away, get hit by cars or get into fights!
- Female pets have a reduced risk of uterine, ovarian and breast cancers.
- Male pets have a reduced risk of prostate cancer and other disorders.
- Altered pets mean less chance of costly vet bills and increased chance of longer lives.
- Spay and neuter surgeries are safe, simple and routine.Your pet can go home the same day.
- Your male will not feel like less of a male. Pets don’t have any concept of sexual identity or ego. Neutering will not change a pet’s basic personality. He doesn’t suffer any kind of emotional reaction or identity crisis when neutered.
- Your dog will still be protective! Spaying/Neutering does not affect a dog’s natural instinct to protect home and family.